Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Run with your mind, not just your legs


Sometimes a single line you have read somewhere or a line said to you by someone spurs you to do some extra ordinary things in your life. Similar thing happened to me when I had been to NES college Bhandup to organize “Yogathon”. I had read an article of Prakash Iyer – the author of Habit of Winning wherein he recollects a story his friend from army had narrated to him a few years ago.

His friend had just completed engineering and was in his first week at an army school. He was joined by fit and healthy young men who had just come from the National Defence Academy.  During the morning warm ups, they were assigned a stiff task of running 10 miles.  He started the task rather enthusiastically but was exhausted only halfway through. He started feeling a strong pain in his knees and felt he would collapse. Seeing his condition the commanding officer said a famous line that shaped up his life ““Come on, young man. Up till now you’ve been running with your legs. Now run with your mind!”

These lines worked like a magic when I was doing the Yogathon challenge at NES College.  When I started the challenge I was unsure of even doing 20 rounds. The maximum I did at home was 15 rounds.  I had come to the event wearing a jeans pant – the most uncomfortable attire to be in to do Suryanamaskar.  I was first in the mindset that I would be only demonstrating a few rounds of Suryanamaskars to the students. The atmosphere in the auditorium in which we were doing namaskars was so charged up that it spurred me on to continue even after the initial rounds.

When I reached the 30th round I knew I had broken my barrier. Now everything I was doing was pushing my body beyond limits. Whenever the thought of giving up arrived in my mind I said to myself “The accomplishment of this task would be reference point for me that anything is possible for me if I am ready to stretch a little extra”.  I tried to keep negative thoughts away from my mind. The number of counts were discouraging me and just reminding me that there was a long way to go, so I stopped listening to the counts. I kept concentrating on my breathe and my body. I took some deep long breathes to keep myself energized. 

The lines from Prakash Iyer’s article kept ringing in my ears. I could see some people giving up and complaining about the humidity in the room. I stopped looking at them. I could see some people doing the asanas rather effortlessly. I looked at them and gave them a bright smile. They smiled back and that gave me lot of confidence. Finally the teacher announced it was 90 rounds and only 18 rounds to go. Now I said to myself no use of giving up. I have reached so far now I have got to get to the shores. I started to think that so many of friends will be shocked to see me complete the challenge. That urge to see shocked faces on my friends faces egged me further. I reached 108 and I fell bang on the floor. The satisfaction I felt when I fell on the floor was unbelievable. The feeling that you gave it your all is so relishing. 

This experience I realized that mental strength plays a key role in defining success. It also proved that refusing to give in to negative-minded people (like in this case who started complaining and gave up) and following your goal with one-pointed focus is the only way to success.

No comments:

Post a Comment